Connect With Us!

Connect With Us!

Thursday, July 17, 2014

Why Choose Surrogacy? Part 1

Why do people choose surrogacy to start a family?  You're first thought is probably infertility.  Where infertility is a common issue among couples it is not the only hurdle in the way of having a baby.  

Many women…one being me, suffer from Anti-phosphlipid Anti-body Syndrome (APS).  I spoke about this in my pervious blogs & vlogs before I had my son.  I was born with this autoimmune disease and did not find out until I was in my 20's.  

What is APS?  

Antiphospholipid (AN-te-fos-fo-LIP-id) antibody syndrome (APS) is an autoimmune disorder. Autoimmune disorders occur if the body's immune system makes antibodies that attack and damage tissues or cells. 
Antibodies are a type of protein. They usually help defend the body against infections. In APS, however, the body makes antibodies that mistakenly attack phospholipids—a type of fat. 
Phospholipids are found in all living cells and cell membranes, including blood cells and the lining of blood vessels.
When antibodies attack phospholipids, cells are damaged. This damage causes blood clots to form in the body's arteries and veins. (These are the vessels that carry blood to your heart and body.)

Usually, blood clotting is a normal bodily process. Blood clots help seal small cuts or breaks on blood vessel walls. This prevents you from losing too much blood. In APS, however, too much blood clotting can block blood flow and damage the body's organs. http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov

APS can cause pregnancy-related problems, such as multiple miscarriages, a miscarriage late in pregnancy, or a premature birth due to eclampsia. (Eclampsia, which follows preeclampsia, is a serious condition that causes seizures in pregnant women.)  http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov

Very rarely, some people who have APS develop many blood clots within weeks or months.  This condition is called catastrophic antiphospholipid syndrome (CAPS).  *This happened to me with all 4 of my pregnancies.  http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov

In short this is a blood clotting disease that causes re-occurrent miscarriages due to blood clots.  I have been pregnant 4 times and unfortunately suffered 4 miscarriages.  I was even on blood thinners during my pregnancies and still developed a blood clot in my uterus.  I have seen many doctors because of this.  I treated with the  Director of Maternal Fetal Medicine at Magee Women hospital and a hematologist at the Hillman Cancer Center.  

Getting pregnant wasn't the problem.  It was staying pregnant and of course not hemorrhaging when I delivered the baby.  I threw myself into researching this disease and joined support groups that involved other women like myself.  I spoke with a woman who had 7 miscarriages!  God bless her for not giving up!  She now has 2 healthy children.  

The doctors at Magee were puzzled by my case.  I spent most of my pregnancies in the hospital.  This was incredibly stressful for my family and I.  And by the way…people say some of the worst things when you are going through something like this.  "Maybe kids aren't in the cards for you", "Why don't you just adopt?"  These aren't words that anyone with APS of infertility issues wants to hear.  

I never gave up hope.  I always wanted to be a mother and raise a family of my own.  CARE Surrogacy Mexico gave me just that.  My life had purpose when my son Luca was born.  I am not bitter about my miscarriages or all of the tests I had to go through.  Everything led me to where I am today and I am better equipped to help other couples going through the same issues.  

If you or someone you know is battling APS or infertility issues please do not hesitate to contact me. 

Peace, Love and CARE, 
Carmela 

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing the blog. Hegde Fertility is the Best Fertility & IVF Center in Hyderabad. A Name you can trust for IVF, IUI, ICSI and Endometriosis Treatment.


    Best Fertility Center in Hyderabad

    IUI cost in Hyderabad

    Surrogacy cost in Hyderabad

    ReplyDelete