Connect With Us!

Connect With Us!

Tuesday, August 5, 2014

My opinion on the heart wrenching Thailand surrogacy story...



Before I begin I want to make it clear that this is my personal opinion on this devastating situation.  

I have been following the story on the Australian couple who did surrogacy in Thailand since it first came out.  If you are not aware of this please read http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-28654831

From the moment we made the decision to embark on the surrogacy journey my heart was in it for the long haul.  Regardless of the circumstances I went through on a personal level after receiving the news about a positive pregnancy test with our surrogate.  My whole world was now about my unborn baby.  

Here is a couple that went through the surrogacy process, just like I did.  Signed a contract, paid the fee, received weekly updates and ultra sounds, and flew to Thailand to watch their babies be born.  And in the end decided to leave their baby boy who was unfortunately born with Down's Syndrome, a congenital heart condition and a lung infection.  This baby boy is the same exact age as my son Luca.  His name is Gammy and he is precious.  I cannot imagine ever leaving my son for any reason whatsoever. 

Doesn't he deserve love and a chance like his twin sister?  It's not his fault he was born this way.  These things happen.  They happen in natural pregnancy, not just surrogacy.  Gammy needs his sister now more than ever.  The 21 year old surrogate mother now looks after Gammy as well as pays for his medical expenses.  She also has 2 children of her own.  There is an online fundraising campaign to help cover his medical fees.  If you have anything to spare please help this little baby.  http://www.gofundme.com/bxci90

I want point out that United States has very strict surrogacy laws.  Mexico does as well and continues to put laws in place that protect the child.  For example, if an intended parent left the country or refused to pay the surrogacy fee the baby would be sent to a Mexican orphanage and put up for adoption.  It would not be the surrogate mother's responsibility to look after the child.  There are also legal repercussions.  The same thing would happen if; God forbid, an intended parent left a sick baby.  

When deciding to have a baby take time on making your decision.  You will be responsible for someone else's life.  Someone else's feelings and well being.  You are not just a parent for 18 years.  You are a parent until the day that you die.  Surrogacy is a wonderful option for serious couples who want to have a baby…their own baby.  It's sad when people like the Australian couple cast a negative spark on surrogacy abroad.  

This was the most difficult article I have written on surrogacy thus far.  As a mother, I cannot seem to wrap my head around why someone would be so cruel to an innocent baby.  Please send Gammy prayers and healing vibes. 

1 comment:

  1. My own opinion is that Ukrainian clinics are really of European level. Yes, of course Ukraine is not enough developed country yet. Nevertheless one can find a good medical center there. My friend was in one of sch. She told that workers met all her requirements and needs. They conducted absolutely all medical tests in the independent laboratory. She used surrogacy and without problems have a healthy child today. She is extremely happy and recommends Ukrainian centers 100 %. Moreover in connection with the last news I can see that the question of surrogacy will develop. My husband and I want to have one more child but I am 40 already. So I need the egg donation. Now I’m thinking of going to Ukraine in Biotexcom clinic and use medical services of one of the best centers there.

    ReplyDelete