Connect With Us!

Connect With Us!

Wednesday, June 25, 2014

Emotional challenges during surrogacy

Infertility is a common problem for many couples wanting to start a family.  There are many different resolutions available for those who want to share in the glee of raising a child together, one of which is surrogacy. 



Surrogacy can bring out many emotional challenges for those involved.  I went through a phase when my surrogate was pregnant with my son.  I felt I was missing out on connecting with him because I wasn't carrying him myself.  I worried that we wouldn't bond right away.  I read many books that the baby recognizes the mother (or in my case, surrogate's) voice, so this was a concern for me because he never heard my voice until he was born.  

Complicated feelings and emotions are involved in the surrogacy process from the beginning.  There is no question about that.  The key is to address these concerns before the surrogacy process has begun.  

I know what it feels like to carry a baby.  I have been pregnant 4 times and unfortunately suffered 4 miscarriages.  (due to anti-phosphlipid anti-body syndrome).  




Having a supportive partner, family and circle of friends truly helps.  Talking with couples who have gone through the surrogacy process is vital as well.  The constant updates I received about my surrogate and baby helped ease my nerves and also keep my excited about the arrival of my son.  There are many useful surrogacy books written by authors who have been Intended Parents…

*Surrogacy was the way: Twenty Intended Mothers tell their stories.  by, Zara Griswold

* I got drunk at my baby shower: Our successful surrogacy story.  by, Susan Bowen and Heidi Thompson

* The journey of same sex surrogacy: Discovering Ultimate Joy.  by, Jason Warner


No comments:

Post a Comment